PDA

View Full Version : new fleet rules

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:13:09 AM
New Fleeting Rules

These Rules are very much open to suggestion, and will be added to following raised concerns, opinions, and observations by Rpers. Once everything is finalized, I will be going to Ogre with them to see what he thinks.

Overall fleet conduct

- Fleet size will be kept in check by each fleet taking losses to control sizes. Not only does this make fleeting fair, but it opens up avenues for storylines. Uncommonly large fleets are one of the things that killed fleeting in the past, and to rectify this problem, limitations must be set.

- As far as beancounting, I would like to think that it’s ok to do it to an extent, but hardcore only generates arguments and calls for mod ruling that is annoying, time consuming, and tends to generate bad feeling on both sides.

- Fleet rping doesn’t always have to be played out from the bridges of capital ships. Sometimes writing the battle from the cockpit of a fighter is just as fun or more so. This is a proven fact.

Planetary holdings

- Definite wins and losses are what makes fleeting fun and able to continue on, so planets (baring a few) will not be subject to definite rule. As with fleet sizes, it is to keep one group from having an obscene amount of power.

this is really all i can think of right now. khendon, piett and i went over the basics, but im sure you guys have your own concerns, so speak up

Teleran Balades
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:11:22 AM
No reenforcement unless agreed on by all people involved. I hate it when people show up with who-knows-how-many ships every other post.

Khendon Sevon
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:01:17 PM
No reenforcement unless agreed on by all people involved. I hate it when people show up with who-knows-how-many ships every other post.

As long as the reinforcements take a realistic amount of posts/time, I think they should be allowed.

Teleran Balades
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:47:45 PM
Agreed. I'm thinking of one RP where Kraken began bringing in ships left and right from nowhere.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 24th, 2004, 04:17:11 PM
how does this sound

- reinforcements shall be sent in only if agreed upon by both parties, and as long as the volume of ships sent in aid is a realistic amount. Also, if youre going to be ringing in reinforcements, they should be brought in in a timely manner that doesnt hold up the rp

Sean Piett
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:10:05 PM
Things look good so far. Just throwing in my support.

Silus Xilarian
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:28:22 AM
Originally posted by Sean Piett
Things look good so far. Just throwing in my support.

Agreed.

Jarek T'chort
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:04:20 PM
*is late*

Excellent stuff. Considering what I've seen with respective 'Fleeters' so far theres no reason this won't work.

Khendon Sevon
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:42:14 PM
At the initiation of any thread involving hostilities towards a PC party, that party should be informed if it has not already been. This allows "surprise" actions and will also provide a back bone for making RPs legitimate.

Furthermore, 48 hours after the first post, if the party in question has not responded and they are active and capable of responding, the initiating group may continue the RP.

Silus Xilarian
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:03:59 PM
Personally, im not too keen on 'surprise' actions. I think it might be a good idea, if you wish to do a surprise attack, there should still be notification and agreement between the opposing parties. With that, the defending party is responsible for roleplaying the attack as a surprise, which would include having to move reinforcements into place, activate emergency defenses and such.

If you spring a thread on someone, then tell them they have 48 hours to respond, there is a possibility of OOC hostility forming between both groups, imo.

Julius Patton
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:24:10 PM
Wow. Compared to TRF fleet rules, this is extremely small. Just in case you were wondering, this is actually a complement. It takes a nice bunch of people to RP happily together under so little rules. Keep up the Zenness, guys! :smokin

Transil Gantar
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:27:12 PM
It is a lot smaller than TRF's rules. Probably cuz we fight so much. *rubs nicks and bruises* Anyways...

Julius Patton
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:51:47 PM
*Bashes chair over Kamon's back.*

Teleran Balades
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:02:22 PM
Keep the violence out of the info treads

Jarek T'chort
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:56:57 PM
Originally posted by Silus Xilarian
Personally, im not too keen on 'surprise' actions. I think it might be a good idea, if you wish to do a surprise attack, there should still be notification and agreement between the opposing parties. With that, the defending party is responsible for roleplaying the attack as a surprise, which would include having to move reinforcements into place, activate emergency defenses and such.

If you spring a thread on someone, then tell them they have 48 hours to respond, there is a possibility of OOC hostility forming between both groups, imo.

I agree. I think any large Fleet Rp should be well planned out in advance.

For the Bestine thread, we organised OOC in detail sometime before we started Rping. That way the chances of OOC conflict are very small. I'd prefer it that way and it certainly seems to have made the thread more enjoyable.

To some extent, yes, you know what your enemy is going to do, but the the main thing here is you have to have fun doing a Rp, if your arguing over who damaged what or whos blown what skyhigh OOC then theres not a lot of point in carrying on.

STELA'SHLIT'NURUODO
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:43:27 AM
how about you warn them you will attack , make sure it is ok. but not give the location of the attack.

Hum?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:02:23 AM
that sounds good to me. as long as theres a definite end and whatnot, i see no problem with making the process of getting there interesting

Sean Piett
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:14:29 PM
I'd like to see a fleet mod. With genuine power to solve arguments, approve researches, and make judgements when an impasse is reached. They'd be responsible for ensuring the legality of all groups' actions.

Besides this, I don't know if any rules (other than common sense) are necessary. However limited our community is, anarchy and a hope for mutual respect doesn't really cut it. When new rules are laid down, people will try to slip through the cracks. There's never really been an authority figure to stop this.

Darth Viscera
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:47:36 PM
Originally posted by Sean Piett
I'd like to see a fleet mod.

I believe this is a large part of why I was appointed an RP mod, due to my knowledge of fleet matters. So AFAIK, I'm the fleet mod.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:43:20 PM
well, id like to think that those who helped to create these new rules also take part in enforcing them, so its not a sole individual doing this

Sean Piett
Apr 6th, 2004, 02:03:30 PM
To clarify, (as i saw there was some conflict on the matter earlier today), I was talking about a single person. Ideally, they'd be elected by those who revised the rules so as to best represent the will of the roleplayers. I see either this or a panel of two or three such people as the most realistic/effective solution.

Of course, I can't really see the majority of roleplayers (or even fleeters) as supporting of this. Its just the best way to handle things without a rigid set of rules, in my opinion.

I have a few other proposals, but I'll wait to put them forward.

Khendon Sevon
Apr 6th, 2004, 02:15:56 PM
I support Sean's idea

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 6th, 2004, 02:18:28 PM
a panel i think would be best. a: itd be too taxing for one person, and b: i think itd be much better to have people who actively worked to make this feasable as a part of a liason staff of sorts

FireKat
Apr 6th, 2004, 03:36:38 PM
Also, keep the Star Trek-ization out of fleeting.

I understand that science and innovation have their place, but its monumentally retarded to have ships that are so tricked out with BS tech that has no business existing. Its a really stupid curve to place on other RPers just so you can "keep up with the Joneses"

I don't want to get in a RP just to say "Ah, but your weapons are nullified by my triple duo-tachyon subspace shielding, and I am firing neutronic pulse missiles that can't be avoided by your "conventional" systems.

This is not clever. It is the exact opposite of clever, and makes me want to swing a tire iron at your face, and scream like Conan the Barbarian.

So, for the love of God, keep it simple, stupid.

I don't mind a tech toy or two in a RP, but when you're entire basis revolves around tech and R&D, I'm going to google for your address and shoot you in your reproductive organs.

Sean Piett
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:14:55 PM
I wanted to stay on the topic of a mod/panel for a shade longer, but we can revisit that.

Thanks for not pointing any fingers- I think that pretty much everyone is taking things a bit too far. We're done with R&D over at the Federacy for some time. Now, I can't and don't inted to speak on behalf of Khendon, but I understand that just drawing the line here probably isn't enough.

Back when I started, canon just wasn't good enough. And this is just a couple of months after fleeting's conception. A ship's power was determined by length and by superlasers. Everyone did it, but eventually it got out of hand and it was dealt with. Now that length wasn't viable, high tech solutions became quite a bit more plausible. A lot of the ideas I've seen were pretty incredible.

But maybe we should trace our roots. SW is pretty much Earth 1940- in space, with lasers. Pretty much everyone fleeting is now on an operational level of Earth, distant future.

What I'm trying to say is this- either we need someone to strictly moderate what's kosher and what's not and leave an invisible line for people to start encroaching, or we can lay down a very tangible boundry. Maybe we should look at the idea of allowing only cannon ships.

I see this proposal as causing a lot of trouble, but I think it can be dealt with. Hapes had their own designs, and I think that the Cizerack and Chiss should be able to as well. There are few reliable ship bibles for the New Republic (Imperials have INSD). A few designs by all parties could be allowed, but only after permitted by the community.

Just a proposal. I'm not even in full support of the idea, and would be sad to see some of my favorite ships go. However, it needs a lot of revision (or rejection).

Charley
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:23:33 PM
As far as the Cizerack are concerned, I've kept all the tech they use canon, except for their main particle cannons, which are essentially massive ion weapons anyway.

The ship designs are different, though I kept it somewhat relative to other existing craft, so somebody would have a pre-conceived context of how to imagine the ship. For instance, the Korri battlegalleons that form the backbone of the trade fleet are roughly equivalent to a Victory Star Destroyer in terms of size and performance.

I think as long as you have context, and can readily say a ship is similar to X, with Y changes, you'd be covered on the non-canon designs.

The tech, with maybe a few minor differences, really should remain constant. They were using more or less the same crap back in the era of KOTOR, so lets try to respect that.

Khendon Sevon
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:55:52 PM
I've been researching since 2000. I have over 180 designs to my credit.

That being said, Piett is right. I will no longer be making new designs--no matter how tempting. I've decided that if the Federacy comes up with any new technology they'll be so far advanced that RPing will no longer be fun.

As is, the technology may be very different, but it isn't impenetrable. A reasonable amount of resources still go into the vessels, it's not like I mass produce Sevon-class star destroyers.

I believe technology should be moderated for legitimacy and impact. People shouldn't be able to jump from fission reactors to h-space inductive reciprocating blah, blah reactors that can be powered on a human breathe :) but a logical progression from fission to ion to conceptual gravimetric and so forth should be allowed.

Charley
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:13:56 PM
You lost me with conceptual gravimetric.

Khendon Sevon
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:42:14 PM
it really should've been gravitic, but the point is, it's a "weird" technology that is beyond NJO technology :)

Charley
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:22:33 PM
Ok, gravitic then. Same situation.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 8th, 2004, 06:23:01 PM
creating tech to 'one up' someone else is something that i really want to avoid. all it serves to do is create arguments.

i think tech can be somewhat limited without having to put a cap on it in such a way that it has both very feasable disadvantages as well as advantages cleary defined.

its like creating a character - dont give it an inordinate amount of 'hats'.

Telan Desaria
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:23:27 PM
righto