PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: New Members and Roleplayers!!

Daiquiri
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:05:42 AM
Hear ye! Hear ye! Ye have spoken and been heard!

Below you'll find a list of names. They are the people who have volunteered to help mentor the new roleplayers here at SWFans. Of course, anyone can ask for help...you dont have to be new to seek help or advice

Here is how it will work:

The first newbie (or noob, depending on which you prefer) who posts in this thread asking for help will get the first mentor at the top of the list. The second newbie will get the second mentor on the list and so forth.

One thing that will not be done is to allow 'requests'. Lets say that 'John Doe' becomes a member here at Fans and is very interested in becoming an Imperial. He has watched the forums and knows that Taylor frequently roleplays an Imperial character. 'John' makes a post asking that Taylor become his mentor because of Tay's interests in the Empire. It makes sense...they both share a commonality.

What happens when the next one or even two new members show up and share the same interest as 'John Doe'? Poor Taylor would be swamped and what time he did have for mentoring one newbie now has to be split between three. No one would fully benefit from Tay's experience and his own RPing would suffer. If a new member truly wants the help in learning the rules of the board and becoming a better roleplayer themselves, then they will have to accept who is available.

Please remember this is all voluntary. We are taking time out of our busy schedules to provide help for those who seriously want to learn. If youre not willing to respect that, then please dont post.

Some mentors will prove to have more time available than others. This is something that will have to be worked out between you (the newbie) and the mentor youre working with. Should a strong conflict of personalities occur, a different arrangement could be made but we urge all involved to have patience and understanding.

In all fairness, I feel that I should go first since this was my doing. I cant very well ask others to do what I wont, now can I? (Yes, you may throw rotting veggies at me should it be a dismal failure ) Now, for the list.

1. Daiquiri Van-Derveld / Denali Gue

2. Zasz Grimm / Andraq Novkar

3. Dae Jinn

4. Lilaena De'Ville / James Prent

5. Pierce Tondry / Evil Hobgoblin

6. Taylor Millard / Wargrave

7. s'Ilancy

8. Vega Van-Derveld / Dasquian Belargic

9. Dru / Loki Ahmrah

10. Marcus Elessar

11. Terran Starek

More names may appear on the list at a later date, given availability. Though mentors will try to contact a posted request first, please dont sit back and wait. Make use of your Private messaging (PM) and drop a line to the mentor at the top of the list. It will be between you and your mentor if Instant messaging (IM) nics are to be exchanged.

As always, please read the FAQ first...it will save time and trouble down the road.

Happy roleplaying!

Marcus
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:07:26 AM
Hmmm, are we allocating mentors in order of the list?

Zasz Grimm
Aug 20th, 2003, 09:31:49 AM
Yes.

Asimov Savin
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:10:30 PM
waving hand in the back, I think I'm a newb or whatever you guys called me, I'd like a mentor

Mandy with an I
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:14:15 PM
*takes Asimov under her wing* :D

And, if I may, I'd like to make a little suggestion for any of the newbies who need help. Something I suggested to Asi and might be helpful for other people.

Try writing a Bio/Background for your character before you start roleplaying. You don't have to write a novel, but I find it helps if you have the basic ideas for your character set in your mind (IE. Homeworld, Species, Age, Appearance, any Force powers or affliations to the Light or Darkside). Just something that I find helps me with developing my characters. :)

Surya Barbados
Sep 11th, 2003, 08:18:14 AM
Hmm...Well, wouldn't mind a bit of a hand with Surya. :)

Evil Hobgoblin
Sep 15th, 2003, 12:04:58 PM
Surya: Did you ever get contacted by someone on the list?

Zasz Grimm
Sep 15th, 2003, 12:55:09 PM
She did.

Evil Hobgoblin
Sep 15th, 2003, 01:37:46 PM
Awesome. I was just following up because I wasn't sure if it was my turn to take someone or not.

Darriann Sollak
Sep 21st, 2003, 06:28:09 PM
Greetings. I'm new to these forums.

I'm was a veteran RPer on the swg boards, pre-new player invasion. I served as a Lt. in the New Republic against the Imperial Remnant. Some of you may know me from there my handle was SmugglerSollak.

I was referred to these forums by Ace McCloud, said these boards had some different aspects. I would just like to know what they are. I'm a little rusty at RPing. If I could have someone to RP with 'till I get my writing skills back that would be great. I've been playing SWG a lot lately and the only things that keep coming up in my mind are "/gsay" or "/tell" or "/" anything for that matter.

Ace McCloud
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:12:31 PM
I'm sort of new to the forums...Ive been here since like...June but haven't done anything due to having trouble getting into the GJO
O_o

I don't need any help with writing but I kinda need help with starting events and plots and such like that...and since I'm a jedi, a jedi mentor would be appropriate - if you think I should have one that is =P

Inyos Hei'aan
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:13:42 PM
I'm ok on the how to post bit, and I think I've got the where to post bit, but what about when? Do I need to put my name on a list anywhere, or do I just start writing?

Pierce Tondry
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:40:12 PM
Since three people have posted all at once, I'm going to respond to each of you. I'm already mentoring someone else so I won't be guiding you folks, but I will try to give you information I think you'll be able to use.

First things first: if you guys haven't already read the FAQ (http://www.swforums.net/forum/misc.php?s=&action=faq) I would strongly advise you do so as it explains much about the way the RPing forums operate.

Now, as to your individual comments...

Originally posted by Darriann Sollak
Greetings. I'm new to these forums.

I'm was a veteran RPer on the swg boards, pre-new player invasion. I served as a Lt. in the New Republic against the Imperial Remnant. Some of you may know me from there my handle was SmugglerSollak.

I was referred to these forums by Ace McCloud, said these boards had some different aspects. I would just like to know what they are. I'm a little rusty at RPing. If I could have someone to RP with 'till I get my writing skills back that would be great. I've been playing SWG a lot lately and the only things that keep coming up in my mind are "/gsay" or "/tell" or "/" anything for that matter.

You must unlearn what you have learned, young Padawan. :)

Generally, our boards heavily favor the Force-using aspect of Star Wars, but there is a set of New Republic forums linked to the GJO board and there are Imperial remnants (not to be confused with the single entity that is the Imperial Remnant in Expanded Universe fiction) farther down the main page. If playing a character affiliated with one of those groups sounds of interest to you, I would advise you to investigate those forums on your own and ask questions there while you're waiting for a mentor to contact you.

Originally posted by Ace McCloud
I'm sort of new to the forums...Ive been here since like...June but haven't done anything due to having trouble getting into the GJO
O_o

I don't need any help with writing but I kinda need help with starting events and plots and such like that...and since I'm a jedi, a jedi mentor would be appropriate - if you think I should have one that is =P

Ace, we're sorry you're having trouble with the GJO recruitment process. Sometimes that group gets a backlog of Padawans and the existing Knights and Masters have trouble dealing with all of them, especially because time online is limited. Though it might take awhile, I can assure you that if you persist you'll get the desired outcome.

I do want to say that starting events and plots is something best done by talking with others. From what I've read, your character has a certain background that makes him more likely to be in certain situations (fighting against evil) than in others (helping old ladies across the street). You might try contacting an RPer from one of the Dark Side groups to set up a fight thread in the RolePlaying forum, just to get things started.

Originally posted by Inyos Hei'aan
I'm ok on the how to post bit, and I think I've got the where to post bit, but what about when? Do I need to put my name on a list anywhere, or do I just start writing?

You are free to post on the RolePlaying forum pretty much as you'd like. Most threads there are open to the public, with only a few having participation restrictions, which you should respect. Threads in the Storytelling forum are presumed closed to the casually browsing RPer, though sometimes if you contact one of the participants of a thread you might be able to work out a deal with them that allows your character into the thread. Most group boards have at least one open forum where anyone who likes can post, but group forums are usually set in a particular habitat or location that you should bear in mind.

If what I've said isn't helpful and you want your own mentor, just reply saying so and someone from the list on the previous page will contact you.

Hope that cleared a few things up for you fellas!

KarlinDarkflame
Dec 19th, 2003, 07:13:37 PM
I need some help just with the general board part. I've been RPing for five years now, so I'm not confused on that....I'm sooooo confused by the amount of forums there are for this...and I've probably posted one OOC message all in the wrong places...So, yeah, I'm new to the board, and would like to find a Jedi Master for this character...I also need someone to RP her brother, sister (twins), and father who are all on the dark side...I'll try and post more info about her as soon as possible, or if you want more info either IM or email me. I need some help....I'm sooooo confused by the amount of forums there are for this...and I've probably posted one OOC message all in the wrong places...So, yeah, I'm new to the board, and would like to find a Jedi Master for this character...I also need someone to RP her brother, sister (twins), and father who are all on the dark side...I'll try and post more info about her as soon as possible, or if you want more info either IM or email me. I need some help....I'm sooooo confused by the amount of forums there are for this...and I've probably posted one OOC message all in the wrong places...So, yeah, I'm new to the board, and would like to find a Jedi Master for this character...I also need someone to RP her brother, sister (twins), and father who are all on the dark side...I'll try and post more info about her as soon as possible, or if you want more info either IM or email me.

James Prent
Dec 20th, 2003, 03:27:13 PM
I need some help....I'm sooooo confused by the amount of forums there are for this...and I've probably posted one OOC message all in the wrong places...So, yeah, I'm new to the board, and would like to find a Jedi Master for this character...I also need someone to RP her brother, sister (twins), and father who are all on the dark side...I'll try and post more info about her as soon as possible, or if you want more info either IM or email me.

You need a Jedi master, then go to the Greater Jedi Order forum, and the recruitment center. If you want to write an OOC message to the Jedi, try the Arcan IV forum. Also, if you haven't, try to Read the FAQ. as there is lots of information about the boards there.

KarlinDarkflame
Dec 20th, 2003, 07:43:47 PM
I've all ready read the FAQ page, it just seems confusing to me. I'll try those places, though. Thanks!

Kria'thn Ki
Jan 9th, 2004, 05:33:40 AM
I’m not new to role-playing or play by post rpg’s but I could use someone to run through a thread with me. Perhaps maybe introduce me to the subtleties of the role-playing here.

I have IC posts in the Sith Order and the main role-playing section.

For instance I have a question, are small bracketed OOC comments allowed on the main IC boards. Such as (OOC: Mind if I enter?).

Thanks in Advance.

Zeke
Jan 9th, 2004, 06:07:14 PM
Originally posted by Kria'thn Ki
For instance I have a question, are small bracketed OOC comments allowed on the main IC boards. Such as (OOC: Mind if I enter?).

Thanks in Advance.

Usually it's best to PM the thread's author if you want to ask their permission to enter their thread, though OOC notes attached to RP posts aren't unacceptable.

Spada Elhow
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:35:02 PM
Yea I could use a mentor. Im not a newb to RPing but i am to star wars RPing.

Akrabbim
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:51:43 PM
I'm in too. However, if ye be evil, I shall smite thee!

Eowiodith Unadrieniel
Feb 8th, 2004, 05:37:14 PM
I'm new at this RPing stuff and I'm not sure how to get a master. (Or instructor, whatever you call them.) I've posted in the recrutment center for the GJO and been accepted into the order by Wei Wu Wei, but I still need someone to train my char. (Not to mention me) :)

Alf
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:44:49 PM
Well I can do it. Just post somethng in the Academy for Shade Magus and I'll do it with my Jedi guy.

March Kalas
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:21:08 PM
what exactly does a mentor do? (I'm new here too).

I don't want to make my first character a jedi, but I may consider having one as a secondary character, or maybe a main one later. If I was a jedi, would it be kind of like a master-padawan type of thing until I my jedi was trained in the ways of the force? Would I be kind of like a tag-along to the master?

Shanaria Fabool
Mar 8th, 2004, 02:48:38 PM
The mentors read the threads and posts of the the new commer and gives constructive comments on how they could improve if they see you doing something wrong, confusing, vauge, or not posable. They also are there to bounce Ideas off of if you want an oppinon on an idea that you have for an RP or character plot.

As for the Jedi Question, That would be something you would work out with your master when you get one.

March Kalas
Mar 21st, 2004, 07:24:35 PM
another question, where should I post my character bio?

Daiquiri
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:18:14 AM
Have you decided which faction or in what direction your character is going? That would be helpful in knowing how to answer your question :)

March Kalas
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:33:18 PM
alright. Actually for two characters. A jedi (with the Greater Jedi Order) and a neutral freelancer.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 6th, 2004, 04:50:38 PM
I suggest starting with one character so you make some mistakes only with one character instead of two. :)

March Kalas
Apr 7th, 2004, 12:34:11 PM
I know, but I want I want to know ahead of time so I don't have to find out later.

March Kalas
Apr 15th, 2004, 04:13:30 PM
will someone please answer me? I'm not going to start RPing until I find out where to post my bio (I guess mainly a bio for a nuetral freelancing guy).

Daiquiri
Apr 19th, 2004, 12:51:55 PM
To be honest, Im not sure about where to post for a neutral. Perhaps hang on to it and include it in your first post?

Does anyone else have any suggestions for this?

March Kalas
Apr 20th, 2004, 12:33:27 PM
what's the bio for in the my user profile then?

thanks for responding though

Firebird1
Apr 21st, 2004, 12:05:52 PM
If it is short enough you can include it there or post it on a webpage like the one in my sig.

Or you can just post it in the storytelling forum I guess...

The possibilities are endless...unless a Mod has a better idea.

March Kalas
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:40:53 PM
thanks guys. Do you think you could tell me where you put your bios just so I have some examples?

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:41:59 PM
The Jedi have a forum for bios. Just click onto Greater Jedi Order then go to the Biographies forum.

March Kalas
Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:40:27 PM
Is that for anyone? I want to be neutral guy.

Josiah Aurelius
Apr 28th, 2004, 01:57:03 PM
I'm new here as well. I have done plenty of text-based roleplaying, but I am, unfortunately, not that familiar with the Star Wars stuff, but I am willing to be patient and learn, and do what is required of me to figure things out around here. This is also my first forum poleplaying experience, so I would appreciate anyone's advice and/or suggestions. Thank you.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 28th, 2004, 01:59:59 PM
Originally posted by March Kalas

No, it's only for Jedi, but if you're looking for examples of how to do your bio, that forum might help :)

Zeke
Apr 28th, 2004, 02:03:33 PM
Originally posted by March Kalas

You could post a bio for a neutral character in Storytelling, I'll bet. If not there, then possibly in the Miscellaneous forum.

Tiberius Anar
Apr 28th, 2004, 02:08:27 PM
Welcome.

I can offer only this advice: be bold! Start a thread with a post that sets up a scene and then see what happens. It is surprising what happens.

March Kalas
Apr 29th, 2004, 12:52:29 PM
never mind, I have joined Jacen Dantharno

Dekk
Jun 12th, 2004, 12:02:24 PM
So, I suppose I should be applying for a mentor then.

Ken Finley
Jun 17th, 2004, 01:06:28 AM
Well can an old member who really didnt know what they where doing before get some help???? i cant seem to get accepted by a new master..... my old one got banned LOL

The Professor
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:24:15 AM
How do you join this stuff?

Vice
Oct 24th, 2004, 04:56:25 PM
I really need a mentor ive only been playing for a week.I dont understand really anything.

arisafari
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:53:23 AM
hello everyone what is going on in here?
how's it goin?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:04:10 AM
Are you wanting to start RPing here?

Cause if so, this is the thread where you somewhat request a mentor of sorts.

Vice
Jan 25th, 2005, 08:07:53 PM
''Ya pick me I request a mentor of some sort.'':mad

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2005, 08:38:57 PM
Terribly out of date. Closed until further notice.