PDA

View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 12:18:54 PM
I don't like this at all
Warner Brothers is enlisting Tim Burton to direct Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the second live-action film adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic children's novel, Variety reported. Burton is also signed next to helm the stop-motion animation feature film The Corpse Bride for the studio, the trade paper reported.

Charlie has long been considered one of Warner's most promising properties, one that executives hope will lead to a Broadway musical, the trade paper reported.

The Dahl estate has already approved Burton. In the next few days, he will meet with the family in London, where he's putting the finishing touches on the Columbia film Big Fish. A deal will reportedly follow.

Dahl didn't like the first screen adaptation, the 1971 Gene Wilder movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the trade paper reported.

Why do they have to remake classic films especially since the last remake Burton did stunk. I don't care that Dahl didn't like the first one, I have a feeling that this one will be even worse.

Agden Ithrin
May 22nd, 2003, 12:30:53 PM
Burton! I wonder if he'll give it his usually gothic twang :D That would be interesting to see.

Mandy with an I
May 22nd, 2003, 12:42:04 PM
Hmm, it might be good. i liked 'nightmare before christmas" and he'll probably make it more darker. Still love the original though. :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 12:44:02 PM
See I liked the songs I will miss them, also not sure who can duplicate Wilder's performance. The only person I can think of is Jim Carrey.

Mandy with an I
May 22nd, 2003, 12:48:10 PM
:x

If it's like 'Nightmare...", then couldn't they keep the songs? At least the oompa-lumpa ones would still have to be in it, I would think.
As to who plays Wonka, he wouldn't have to be funny, I mean, Wilder wasn't acting all comedic in it. :\ I don't think I'd like it with Carrey in it, but that's just me.

Agden Ithrin
May 22nd, 2003, 12:49:33 PM
Maybe they will revamp some of the songs a little, and have evil little clown oompa-lumpas... :lol

Nathanial K'cansce
May 22nd, 2003, 12:55:58 PM
Bah! "Willy Wonka..." is a classic! I love that movie. Even though I'm a fan of some of Burton's work, I'm ':\ ' on this.

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 12:56:44 PM
Wonka was a nut so it would have to be somebody funny, Wilder was funny in the film, to me he stole the film. I have doubt they will do the music mostly because it has been done, I just don't see it happening but who knows. I wonder who will play the kids? There were rumors months ago that WB were trying to talk the 3 Harry Potter leads (Radcliff, Grint, and Watson) into doing. Personally I would think they be too busy with HP to even try to do it.

Gurney Devries
May 22nd, 2003, 01:02:32 PM
I have mixed feelings on this. Willy Wonka is just one of those films that you can't improve upon in any way. And remake almost always means "bad". I wonder if Burton is just so hard up for cash that he's not bothering to pick and choose the films he directs. :\

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 01:05:39 PM
I agree, I know WB is probably thinking maybe they will make money on it this time. As I think the original did poorly in theaters and only got an audience on TV and VHS.

Mandy with an I
May 22nd, 2003, 01:07:01 PM
Wilder wasn't funny in a Carrey way though, it was more subtle funny IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 01:09:56 PM
True I think Carrey can tone it down to that type of humor though I bet they won't pick him because of his 25 million dollar sallery.

Lann
May 22nd, 2003, 01:20:48 PM
I don't like this, Willy Wonka is a classic that can never be improved upon. That is nearly as bad as if someone attempted to remake 'Wizard of Oz'. I'm absolutely serious. My interest level is zilch, Carey or no Carey. Wilder's performance was brilliant in the original.

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 01:31:00 PM
They actually have tried doing remake of Oz though it was a sequel but still it was awful.

Lann
May 22nd, 2003, 01:37:56 PM
For the Willy Wonka role, what about Samuel L Jackson or John Lithgow or John Turturro (of Barton Fink fame) or Alan Reichman? The former ones could carry the role and the latter has Burton's usual gothic appeal.

Droo
May 22nd, 2003, 01:41:59 PM
I would vomit on the Jim Carey as Willy Wonka DVD.

As much as I love the original, a surreal Chocolate Factory would be excellent and Tim Burton could do it and make it equal the classic. It would be interesting to have a darker version but that would only spoil the whole point of the book. Marilyn Manson was considered and approached for the role of Willy Wonka.

Gurney Devries
May 22nd, 2003, 01:43:36 PM
Return to Oz wasn't a remake at all. It was a departure from the first film, to be sure. But I quite liked it.

Lann
May 22nd, 2003, 01:45:22 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
They actually have tried doing remake of Oz though it was a sequel but still it was awful.

Are you speaking of that abomination, Return to Oz, made back in the eighties? That is the only one I can recall.

Droo
May 22nd, 2003, 01:47:26 PM
I really liked Return to Oz. It was like what American McGee's "Alice" is to "Alice in Wonderland".

To add to what I said about the remake of Chocolate Factory. If Tim Burton and Marilyn Manson have been approached, then this should give you an idea what sort of film they are going for and could very well fit into the same mold as "Alice" and "Return to Oz".

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 01:54:31 PM
I don't see WB bringing in Manson because it wouldn't be profitable most people wouldn't go see anything he does.

Droo
May 22nd, 2003, 02:04:05 PM
They talked, but that's as far as it goes. I'll look it up on the website, I'm talking about fourteen months ago now but there should be one or two articles still available.

Also, just to expand on my hatred for Jim Carey; I feel like his acting is tainted with camp melodrama, of course when we talk about some of the characters he's played in the past, Ace Ventura, The Grinch, The Riddler, etc. that's unavoidable but it spills out into his other performances which makes his deliveries cringe-worthy. I just don't like the idea of him playing Wonka at all because that's the type of role which will allow all the qualities about his acting which I can't stand to be completely free. >_<

Vega Van-Derveld
May 22nd, 2003, 02:51:00 PM
I could so see MM playing Wonka after watching the mOBSCENE video. Obviously it wouldn't be a mainstream film, but with Burton directing I think that would be fairly entertaining :)

Loki Ahmrah
May 22nd, 2003, 03:18:43 PM
His music video for "Dope Hat" is basically him and the band on the boat trip in the film. It's excellent. :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 04:01:45 PM
It wouldn't make any money there is no way WB would cast Manson as Wonka, I think that talk was complete rumor, Manson is as far from mainstream as you can get. Now as far as Carrey I like him he can be hysterical in some films (Liar Liar comes to mind) not sure if he would work as Wonka or not. I am sure there are other choices Mike Myers maybe?

Gav Mortis
May 22nd, 2003, 04:28:11 PM
None of the mentions so far make me think: "Ooh yeah, definately Willy Wonka!" Having said that though, I tend to say that a lot about actors filling the shoes of a character I know of beforehand and am usually suprised. I mean imagine the thoughts of people when they heard Jack Nicholson would play the Joker in Batman and look at the performance he delivered. I am just not a big Carey fan, Liar Liar was great but it's all too samey for my liking.

The Manson talks weren't rumours as Manson was the person who was talking about it himself on the website. He said he'd like the role but then the whole Wonka remake dissapeared until now. Is it possible that a smaller, independant studio was planning to do the film all that time ago? Or is it owned by WB?

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2003, 04:43:27 PM
More than likely it was all Manson doing the talking. I don't see WB giving him that role the movie would fail for sure.

Zeke
May 22nd, 2003, 05:01:41 PM
I feel the same way about Manson being Wonka as Loki does about Jim Carrey being Wonka. I hate this idea. They'll ruin it completely the way it seems to be going now.

Lann
May 22nd, 2003, 05:20:30 PM
First off, we don't even know if Manson has any acting talent. I also don't care for movie/musician collaborations. Though that is not to say musicians can not act. But in this scenario it would appear outwardly to be a MTV/Burton production. Eww!

And Manson is no Wilder fer sure.

Loki Ahmrah
May 22nd, 2003, 06:32:21 PM
1. Manson was involved in talks with the studio.

2. Whether or not this was WB or otherwise I cannot find out.

3. Manson isn't and hasn't for a long time been involved in the Chocolate Factory equation.

So put your fears of Willy Manson or Marilyn Wonka to rest and sleep snug in your beds. :)

I raised the point about Manson earlier because if it's the same studio then coupled with the directing style of Burton we could be looking at a very dark version of the much-loved classic. Like "Alice" and "Return to Oz" are to their predecessors however if this is a remake and not a sequel as such then I doubt it will be a very dark film as it would most likely butcher the book and it's original intent of being a children's story. Although it would be cool, I mean Oompa Lumpas are scary enough without having a Tim Burton make-over. :D

Zeke
May 22nd, 2003, 07:42:59 PM
It shouldn't be made darker. That'd spoil the whole thing right there.

Gurney Devries
May 22nd, 2003, 07:45:55 PM
Well, attempting to remake it without changing anything would be a guaranteed flop. You can't improve on the original movie.

Drastically changing the atmosphere might make it actually worthwhile, however.

JMK
May 22nd, 2003, 07:47:20 PM
Perfect. Just what we need. More Oompa Loompas. I thought we were through with those forever....>_<

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2003, 07:48:42 PM
I [extremely dislike] the original movie. Have any of you ever read the book? Geebus!

[edit: What I mean by this is that the original movie did not fit what I had imagined in my head when I read the book 20 or so times in my youth, so I do not like it as much as others do.]

I would be most interested in the remake.

My only concern is the casting of Uncle Joe, as he is my absolute favorite character.

[second edit: I hate the songs, too.]

Lann
May 22nd, 2003, 07:53:50 PM
Originally posted by Gurney Devries
Drastically changing the atmosphere might make it actually worthwhile, however.

Might indeed... but better yet why don't the studio just drop this production for something more original altogether. Leave the Oompa Lumpas alone.

Gurney Devries
May 22nd, 2003, 07:56:24 PM
:mneh :mneh :mneh @ LD

I loved the songs. :love I haven't read the book, so I just judge it on its merits as a movie.

And the movie industry has been completely out of original ideas for at least a year now. That's why we're seeing nothing but sequels and adaptations of books/comics.

JMK
May 22nd, 2003, 08:01:45 PM
Originally posted by Lann
Leave the Oompa Lumpas alone.

Amen.

Zeke
May 22nd, 2003, 08:09:10 PM
Oompa Loompa doopity do
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa doopity dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me...

:)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2003, 08:21:59 PM
I didn't mind the Oompa Loompa songs, they're actually all in the book. :mneh@Gurney

Rutabaga
May 22nd, 2003, 08:57:43 PM
A remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory???? :huh

Gosh, I'm truly torn on this one. I absolutely adore the original movie version, and I think Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka is one of the greatest movie fantasy characters ever.

But Tim Burton directing...that has possibilities. He could help bring out the darker edges of the story.

I would be willing to give it a try, I think. But not with Marilyn Manson as Willy Wonka. No way, no how.

Oh, and I'd like to step up to the plate in defense of Return to Oz, which I happened to like a lot. My mother loves it, and I consider her a very good judge of Oz movies, because she loved the book series as a child, and for Christmas a few years ago, I bought her a whole new set of the books, which she read again.

As she pointed out, L. Frank Baum's Oz books weren't all sweetness and light, follow the yellow brick road, ding dong the witch is dead, I'm melting, I'm melting. There was actually some pretty dark stuff in these books too. While I agree that the suggestion of Dorothy receiving shock treatment in the opening scenes of Return to Oz was not exactly appetizing, the elements of Dorothy's return to Munchkinland and Oz were all drawn from elements in 2 of the Baum books. Princess Mombi in the movie was a composite of 2 characters in 2 Oz books, so yes, there really was a character created by L. Frank Baum who had a gallery of heads that she could interchange at will. The wheelers, the devastation of Oz, the deadly desert, the Nome King, everything still came from Baum's works. Plus, Fairuza Balk was only about 9 or 10 when she made the movie, which was actually the age that Dorothy was in the Oz books, not the buxom 18-year-old that Judy Garland was.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Wizard of Oz, it truly is one of the greatest movie fantasies of all time, and if anyone ever tries to remake it (The Wiz doesn't count :p), then there will be hell to pay. Big time. But Return to Oz wasn't a remake, it was a sequel of sorts, and as far as my mother the Oz fan is concerned, Return to Oz was truer to the source material than The Wizard of Oz was. I think so too. :)

Sorry if I ranted a little, but I've always felt that Return to Oz has gotten more criticism than it deserves. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2003, 12:13:32 AM
I saw the movie too first, I liked the songs too, Candy Man (though made before the movie I think by Sammy Davis) and the song by Wilder, when they enter the candy Lake were the two best, though the one with Salt was kind of funny :p I think they should leave it alone I have a feeling they will botch it pretty bad.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2003, 02:43:30 PM
Its been so long since i've seen it...does Veruca Salt get dumped down a chute by trained squirrels in the movie?

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2003, 02:49:54 PM
trained squirrels? I'm missing out! :)

Vega Van-Derveld
May 23rd, 2003, 02:51:31 PM
No, she jumps onto the gold-egg-weighing machine and it goes "BAD EGG" and it drops her down the chute, then her daddy follows :lol (I loved that bit of the movie.. Veruca was my favourite :D)

Gurney Devries
May 23rd, 2003, 03:29:23 PM
The boat scene was my favorite part of the movie. Ironically, Marilyn Manson did a cover of that song a while ago.

Loki Ahmrah
May 23rd, 2003, 03:35:17 PM
Yep, it's on his "Portrait of an American Family" album I think. Like I said earlier, he based the music video for "Dope Hat" on that scene too but at the start of the album he does Wonka's rhyme too, it's either that album or "Smells Like Children".

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2003, 09:39:09 PM
I love that part with Salt I loved when Wonka said, "now that was a bad egg." :p I loved the boat scene too that was great.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2003, 10:24:21 PM
In the book she gets into a room full of trained squirrels who are testing nuts. The squirrels tackle her to the floor, and rap their knuckles on her head. And then they toss her down the garbage chute, because she was a 'bad nut.' Then mom and pop run into the room and get the same treatment. Its great. :D She wanted a trained squirrel NOW NOW NOW and so she ran in to get her own.

HA HA VERUCA YOU GOT WHAT YOU DESERVE!

I hope they do THAT in the movie, just like in the book. :D

And while they're at it they need to make a movie out of George's Marvellous Medicine >D

Droo
Sep 13th, 2003, 07:22:01 PM
Just to follow up on my comments about the possibility of Manson playing Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's remake. Taken from marilyn-manson.net on 8th September:

Johnny Depp is keen to take on the lead role in Tim Burtons's, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake, but he'll happily step aside if rocker Marilyn Manson wants the part.

Manson and Depp are the only names in the running to recreate the beloved ROALD DAHL eccentric, and Depp admits the rocker would be the perfect Wonka.

He says, "It's an exciting possibility for me to go back and do another film with Tim. It would be a ball. I'll keep all my digits crossed, as it were.

"That said, I'd go and see Manson as Willy Wonka. I'd go and see him in anything."

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 13th, 2003, 08:28:08 PM
I still think no Warner exec would put Manson in a film, the movie would bomb. I bet Depp gets the part even though I don't think they should make a remake of it.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2004, 05:52:06 PM
Going to resurrect this very old thread because the teaser is out

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/charlieandthechocolatefactory.html

I have to say it looks very weird, although it fits with Burton's style. Depp is crazy looking in it. I will probably go see it just because Depp is such a great actor and that will make the movie worth it. Still doubt it will be as good as the original.

Yog
Dec 10th, 2004, 06:21:40 PM
My first reaction/thought when I watched that trailer was "cat in the hat", which can only be a bad sign..

Shawn
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:57:52 PM
I hope that music is used nowhere in the actual movie. I also hope the "Ew, he farted" type jokes are kept to an absolute bare minimum (as in, just that once). I like how some of the sets looked.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:03:22 PM
Not sure what the Ew was refering to so can't say. The music is very strange. I thinking some of that could be the Lupa Lupa songs. I don't see Cat in the hat though, Tim Burton is too good of director to direct something that bad. I guess it could disapointing like Planet of the Apes.

Shawn
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:10:13 PM
Even if that's not what he was saying "Ew" to, the fart was really out of place. :\ The music, even if it's an Oompa Loompa song, is too sugar-sweet for my liking. It's downright annoying.

Still, it has promise:

http://img88.exs.cx/img88/7057/wonka019eh.jpg
http://img88.exs.cx/img88/351/wonka029wv.jpg

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:11:12 PM
It looks simply fascinating.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:27:34 PM
The imagery looks just like Burton though. The music I have no clue about, where was the fart? I thought the Ew was when the fat kid fell in the chocolate.

Shawn
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:35:14 PM
The fart noise is while Augustus is swimming around in the chocolate. I'm hoping that maybe they just added it for the trailer, then spliced in the "Ew" from another scene... but that doesn't seem likely.

The music is starting to grow on me, though. >_<

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:21:18 AM
Oompa loompa songs are SUPPOSED to be annoying. At least, they were in the original movie. In the book they had no music. ;)

And perhaps the sound is the sound made when one falls into a river of chocolate? sort of the chocolate wrapping itself around him and squeezing out the air he pulled in with him as he felll....?

...well I've never fallen into a river of chocolate, so I don't know what sound it makes. and I KNOW I'd say ew if someone fell into chocolate that was supposed to go into candy bars.

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:22:15 AM
Personally, I think it looks fantastic. As for the music and sweetness, I think it's a perfect fit, this is a Tim Burton film. Since when has Burton not used sugar sweetness with dark undertones slashing out in every which way? Depp looks deliciously eccentric. Whether or not he'll surpass Gene Wilder's portrayal of Wonka is another matter entirely since that is such a tough act to follow.

The music and tone for this trailer seems to say to me that take it half serious and half misdirection; the first few moments of this trailer looks like some sort of surreal extract from the mind of a madman. I love it and think this will be a treat for both adults and their kids. :D

Edit: Just look at the Chocolate Room - in comparison to that from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory it looks like some disfigured place, like a haunted forest.

Shawn
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:29:44 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Oompa loompa songs are SUPPOSED to be annoying. At least, they were in the original movie. You are wrong.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 11th, 2004, 11:47:49 AM
I don't know what to make of the trailer, but Tim Burton + Johnny Depp has always been a winning combination, so I have high hopes :)

Peter McCoy
Dec 12th, 2004, 11:31:53 AM
I haven't read the book. I haven't seen the film. All I've seen is a shot of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka and he looked great (I love Gene Wilder). So judging my opinion solely on the trailer at hand - it looks fantastic! :)

And its been quite some time since I've seen Johnny Depp clean-shaven :p

Rutabaga
Dec 12th, 2004, 11:59:49 AM
I love the trailer. I hope the movie lives up to it. If Burton pulls this off successfully, it could be his best movie yet.

And so far, I think Johnny Depp looks terrific as Willy Wonka. :)

Darth McBain
Dec 12th, 2004, 01:52:43 PM
Am I the only one that is thinking that Depp looks kinda like Alex from A Clockwork Orange in the poster?

Figrin D'an
Dec 12th, 2004, 02:26:57 PM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
Am I the only one that is thinking that Depp looks kinda like Alex from A Clockwork Orange in the poster?

Good... I'm not the only one who noticed.

Darth McBain
Dec 12th, 2004, 03:22:39 PM
When I first saw that poster in the mall, that was the very first thing I thought of. It kind of cast a creepy image in my mind, which may not be altogether off - Wonka is definitely a little creepy on some level, but I don't think to the level of wanting to go out for a little of the "ultra-violent"... :uhoh

Somara Ave
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:31:35 PM
this is another one that needs to hurry before I self implode..LOL

Tim Burton is the man, of course I'm going ;) That poster of Depp. I need it. O_o

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2005, 12:40:43 PM
Here is the full trailer

http://movies.channel.aol.com/franchise/exclusives/charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_movie
It is a lot better than the teaser have to say that. Depp looks over the top but that is the way Wonka should be played. Oh and the Kid that plays Charlie looks like a great choice, he did a wonderful job in Finding Neverland so I am curious how he will be in this one. Overall it looks like it could be a very good movie.

Loki Ahmrah
May 27th, 2005, 01:39:01 PM
It looks absolutely amazing! I knew it! :D :D :D!

I cannot wait to see this and I'm not even going to say a word about Johnny Depp because, really, was there ever any doubt? :cool

Jedieb
May 27th, 2005, 08:03:30 PM
I just saw the original again the other day. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Does anyone know if Gene Wilder has any kind of a cameo? His career really fell off in the 80's once he started directing his own films, but he's had some great performances; Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Stir Crazy, Silver Streak, The Frisco Kid, and I've left a few others out. To me, he'll always be Wonka, but if anyone can pull off a remake Depp probably can.

Liam Jinn
May 27th, 2005, 08:42:16 PM
LD should be happy, I saw squirrels tapping on the little girls head.

Rutabaga
May 27th, 2005, 09:27:37 PM
Here is the full trailer

http://movies.channel.aol.com/franchise/exclusives/charlie_and_the_chocolate_factory_movie
It is a lot better than the teaser have to say that. Depp looks over the top but that is the way Wonka should be played. Oh and the Kid that plays Charlie looks like a great choice, he did a wonderful job in Finding Neverland so I am curious how he will be in this one. Overall it looks like it could be a very good movie.

Ah, excellent, I've been waiting for the full trailer...looks like it's going to be lots of fun. But I never had any doubts about that. :)

Interesting little thing I noticed in one of the first shots of Johnny Depp...he's holding a pair of scissors. I'm guessing he cuts a ribbon to let everyone into the factory, but of course my first thought was Edward Scissorhands. Which I'm sure was the point. :D

Darth McBain
May 27th, 2005, 10:05:23 PM
I saw that and I don't know if I think this movie is gonna be a lot of fun or if I think it is gonna stink beyond belief... Its weird, the trailer got me excited for, and turned me off of the movie, at the same time... :huh Can't say why...

I don't think I'll be seeing this one in the theaters, maybe a rental later on...

Gav Mortis
May 27th, 2005, 10:18:09 PM
It's going to be awesome, you slags. I know! :mad

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2005, 01:38:35 AM
Originally posted by Liam Jinn
LD should be happy, I saw squirrels tapping on the little girls head.

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Its been so long since i've seen it...does Veruca Salt get dumped down a chute by trained squirrels in the movie?

YAY!!!! :crack

Dasquian Belargic
May 28th, 2005, 03:32:52 AM
It looks like it will be a lot of fun :D

Yog
May 28th, 2005, 03:34:58 AM
I thought the trailer was awful. Reminds me too much of The Grinch and Cat in The Hat, which is not my cup of tea to put it mildly. I would stick to the book. I suspect the critics will have a fiest over this one, and that its going to drop faster box office wise than a cannonball dropped into gravity of Jupiter.

Shawn
May 28th, 2005, 07:15:43 PM
I have my reservations, but I still want to see it. It looks like it'll be really fun, so long as they don't pander to poop and fart jokes.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2005, 10:11:24 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I thought the trailer was awful. Reminds me too much of The Grinch and Cat in The Hat, which is not my cup of tea to put it mildly. I would stick to the book. I suspect the critics will have a fiest over this one, and that its going to drop faster box office wise than a cannonball dropped into gravity of Jupiter.

It looks better than the Grinch and Cat and the Hat plus Burton is directing, the guys who directed those movies are horrible directors who can't find work now. With Depp involved I think it will be better than those movies. I am sure I will go see it.

Gav Mortis
May 29th, 2005, 12:40:13 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I thought the trailer was awful. Reminds me too much of The Grinch and Cat in The Hat, which is not my cup of tea to put it mildly.

Jim Carey, Mike Myers... Johnny Depp. :mad

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 10:01:08 AM
Well Mike Myers has been in several bad movies (I married an axe murderer anyone) so that doesn't surprise me. Honestly look at the directors of those three films and you see a huge difference between Burton and the other two.

Rutabaga
May 29th, 2005, 10:05:33 AM
Agreed, although I do consider The Grinch to be one of Ron Howard's rare misfires. He's usually a fine director, but The Grinch was not a good project for him. I hated The Grinch with a passion. Give me the original 'toon any day.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 10:18:00 AM
Did Howard direct it? I thought he just produced it? I know the guy who did Cat in the Hat hadn't directing anything before or since.

Rutabaga
May 29th, 2005, 11:38:34 AM
Yup, Howard directed it. Believe it or not. :\

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 09:01:24 PM
Maybe I was in denial :p

Akrabbim
Jul 16th, 2005, 01:05:19 PM
BTW, my and my gf saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday. It's VERY good... we both loved it. I personally liked it better than the first one. Depp and Wonka was great. It's a bit sadder than the first movie at the beginning, but it's a lot better ending, IMHO.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 16th, 2005, 01:14:17 PM
I saw it today, great movie, and I agree I liked it better than the original movie and that I think is credit in part to Highmore as Charlie he made you really rooting for the character and feel very sorry for him and family. Then there is the fact they did a better job telling Charlie's story this time around. Depp was great as Wonka, I am not sure if he was better than Wilder but he was hoot he played the charcter as an eccentric. Then there are the Oompa loompas they were way better than the goofy ones in the original they seemed more realistic to me.

jjwr
Jul 16th, 2005, 02:35:33 PM
We're going to see it tonight and I'm definetly looking forward to it.

One comment from above though...

Well Mike Myers has been in several bad movies (I married an axe murderer anyone)

I love this movie!!!!

Head! Pants! Now!

:)

Jedieb
Jul 16th, 2005, 03:33:22 PM
Stop it!!! You'll make the boy cry into his giant pillow!!!!!

Mu Satach
Jul 16th, 2005, 04:51:08 PM
But it is huge! It's the size of a planetoid and it has it's own weather system! Looks like an orange on a toothpick!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 16th, 2005, 06:14:32 PM
"It's a bit like Sputnik - round, and quite pointy in parts."

So I Married an Axe Murderer is a GREAT movie.

"Piper down! We have a piper down!"

Jedieb
Jul 16th, 2005, 08:59:16 PM
Anthonly LaPlaca getting felt up by Mike Myer's mom, creepy, but funny.

Crystal
Jul 18th, 2005, 04:30:55 PM
I saw it earlier today. It's odd. It has a few moments like the puppets catching fire, but overall I didn't like it too much. It seemed like they tried too hard to just make it weird. I was looking for "darker" not a close to retaded Wonka. :( Good morning starshine, the earth says hello! ..what now?

I loved the orginal Oompa Loompas.. but these ones.. I don't even know what's going on there. I want to step on them. I hate them.

I was expecting to see more stupid humor, like the fart thing they did for the trailer which I'm glad wasn't what his "ew" was about..

I guess it was okay, it could have been alot worse.

Razielle Alastor
Jul 18th, 2005, 08:17:40 PM
I loved it, but then I knew I would.

I have to admit, I think I even like the oompa loompas.O_o LOL!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2005, 09:16:58 PM
Originally posted by Crystal
I saw it earlier today. It's odd. It has a few moments like the puppets catching fire, but overall I didn't like it too much. It seemed like they tried too hard to just make it weird. I was looking for "darker" not a close to retaded Wonka. :( Good morning starshine, the earth says hello! ..what now?

I loved the orginal Oompa Loompas.. but these ones.. I don't even know what's going on there. I want to step on them. I hate them.

I was expecting to see more stupid humor, like the fart thing they did for the trailer which I'm glad wasn't what his "ew" was about..

I guess it was okay, it could have been alot worse.

Well the oompas oompas looked like that in the book pretty much, although the were darker skined. I think they want to keep away from dark look little people because they are afraid of charges of racism. Actually this version overall was closer to the book. The orginal was really way different.

Rutabaga
Jul 24th, 2005, 07:39:26 PM
Saw it today, and overall, I liked it. Some stuff was done better in the Wilder version (like, in the remake, they went way overboard with Violet turning into the blueberry), but there was other stuff that was done better in the remake (like the Oopma Loompas). It's a mixed bag of chocolates, but still quite worthy of recommendation. And Johnny Depp was quite entertaining in the role, I liked him a lot :).

I might have enjoyed the movie a little more if it hadn't been for some of the people in the audience...dammit, but I wish people would realized that buying a ticket to get into a movie theater doesn't mean their kids can use the theater as a playground if they're bored >_<. Not only did we have a couple of little ones get chased around the theater by their mother at one point (thank God they left shortly after that), but we also had one mother with a fussy toddler who came to the back of the theater--right behind us--and sat on the floor to watch the movie back there. And of course, her other kid and husband had to keep coming back there to talk to her, in loud voices naturally. I'd already given her the evil eye once and was about to go get someone who worked there to boot the woman out, but things calmed down finally, and we were able to get back to watching the movie.

I'll tell you, though, I've had enough bad experiences with selfish people with bad theater etiquette that I'm almost ready to swear off going to the theater again. No wonder so many people prefer to watch movies at home on DVD than in theaters.

Yog
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:43:51 AM
Fizz: Sounds like the theater you go to is a magnet for people with bad theater etiquette. I totally agree, distracting experiences like that can really ruin a movie. Luckily, when I go to watch a movie, its usually in large THX certified theaters with good seat spacing and generally well behaving audience. Its in the small screen theaters the bad behaving folks might pop up.

Actually, when I think about it, I suspect the bad theater etiquette syndrom may be more of a phenomenon in the states than over here. Some years ago, when I visited the US, I was shocked about some of the multiplexes there. For one thing, I found the small screen theaters often to be quite untidy with popcorn and soda cans scattered about the floor, poor seating/sound system and there were frequently crying babies, loud talking and all sorts of annoying behavior.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:47:35 AM
Well Mike Myers has been in several bad movies (I married an axe murderer anyone)

You gotta be kidding me.

Droo
Jul 25th, 2005, 12:08:44 PM
I have the soundtrack and haven't stopped listening to it. I know the words to the Oompa Loompa's songs ready for Friday when we finally get this film over here.

Danny Elfman's music is sublime here. Absolutely sublime and so much fun! :D

Droo
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:09:29 PM
I saw this film on Friday night and again on Sunday night, both times in the theatre. I have since seen it twice more and have allowed myself to digest it and compose my thoughts and feelings about the film.

Simply put, this is one of the most magical films I've ever seen. Everytime I watch it, I become a ten year old alongside my ten year old sister; the colour, the music, the humour, the messages, the touching moments, and the scary moments are all as I remembered from watching films for the first time when I was younger. Tim burton has a way of making movies truly magical and creating Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the sound of Danny Elfman's perfect score and to the performance of Johnny Depp, the greatest actor of his generation, was simply inspired.

I adore this film and I know when I'm sixty years old, I will watch this and feel like I felt today when watching it, like a ten year old kid once more. Now that's real movie magic.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 6th, 2005, 11:55:57 AM
Although I do have a soft spot for the original, I really enjoyed the remake - although I'm not sure it's fair to call it a remake, since they are drastically different movies and this newest incarnation is based on the book, not the Wilder movie.

Like Droo, I loved the score. Danny Elfman has a knack for creating atmosphere, and combined with Freddy Highmore's exceptional acting, suceeded in bringing a lot of emotion to the portions of the film involving Charlie's family. I also really liked the Oompa Loompas songs, though I did miss hearing "I want the whole world!"

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2005, 08:47:20 PM
That is the same way I feel though I think I liked Wilder better as Wonka just slightly. He just seemed to nail that character for some reason, although I still liked Depp as Wonka, I thought he did a great job.

Droo
Aug 6th, 2005, 09:15:44 PM
Wilder was more of a fatherly figure in the musical, I felt. He didn't really portray for me, other than via a bizarre dress sense and quirky way of speaking, the type of person who had been locked up in a chocolate factory for two decades. He was too personable and warm now that I think back on it. I loved Wilder's portrayal of Willy Wonka, but more accurate a portrayal of the character than Depp? I wouldn't personally say so.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 7th, 2005, 04:56:21 AM
Wilder's Wonka was a much clever character, I think. He had as much eccentricity as Depp's Wonka - after all, many of his lines were direct quotes from literature. What type of person talks like that? I do agree though that he seemed much more stable and in control.

Akrabbim
Aug 7th, 2005, 11:50:25 AM
I've seen the movie twice. To me, it looked like Depp's Wonka was much more clever than he was letting on. On the first watching, I thought he was just a very eccentric guy. But on second watching, I saw how much more in charge he really was.